Thursday, June 19, 2008

Joyeria con tela


Things are becoming more and more routine now, so I'm finding less and less reasons to start writing.

Sunday we hiked to the top of the mountain behind our house which has a grand overlook of Xela as well as a pretty cute park. I thought I was real smart and put sunscreen on, but I did after I put on a headband. As I walked, the headband apparently slid back an 8th of an inch, so now I have a dark line (used to be red line) between my pale scalp and the lighter tan on my forehead. It's cute. Soon everyone will be sporting the line-forehead.

Monday I cut and glued and sewed and attached and constructed until I finally FINALLY made something that I liked. After 4 weeks of trying! I've lost my touch. Necesito mas practica. Necesito debujar mas. Necesito hacer mas!

I feel like there are three grand problems working together here to keep me from making these things that I'm trying so hard to make. First is that Lupe may have given me an impossible task. Making jewelry out of fabric is extremely hard! It's floppy and light, doesn't hold it's shape well, unravels, is fragile, stains, snags etc etc. It also is really hard to work with in small form! It's possible, but it either takes more time than I have or more advanced techniques than I'm able to teach. I have to fix the edges so they don't unravel, I have to hide ends so you can't see the knots, I have to make it keep it's shape and hang straight even though it's too light to want to. Problem number two is that I can't figure out where to buy the materials I need. I can't figure out what the spanish words for the materials i need are (como se dice FUSIBLE WEBBING in espanol?!?) ! The tiendas here are not like stores in the US. You can't just walk through an aisle, pick something up, and take it to the register. The places that are like that have lockers to put your purse in and an armed guard or two at the door. When I go to the craft store I have to ask the attendant for what I want, then she brings it to me, and I decide if I want it. Now if I want a particular color, it means they have to bust out 25 jars of beads on the counter for me to search through, all the while the attendant is helping 3 other people, and there's not enough room for all of us to stand there, and there's not enough room to see all my options, and the attendant is looking really annoyed the whole time. And I have problems making decisions (which is an understatement.) And once again, I hardly know what the word for "dog" is, much less the word for "embroidery floss." Problem number three is that this is outside my comfort zone and outside my expertise. I'm good at making art with fabric. I'll give myself that. I'm good at figuring out how to fix the edges, where to hide the knots, and how to make it keep its shape. When it's related to me. When it's my piece, when it's something that I'm making to express myself. When it's something I'm making to impress other people, to make other people happy, to be attractive to the world and not myself, I'm completely lost. I like fashion, I kind of keep up with fashion (more in the past) and I have a good eye for aesthetics. However, I want to make something that's going to sell to the general public and make these people money, not something that's going to change the fashion world, or art world for that matter. I like to push boundaries, take things out of their every day context, give the world something different and new to look at. And I'd like to be able to keep up with that for this jewelry, but it's just so hard when I have to take so many things into consideration. I can make cool jewelry all day with strange materials and deep context, but will people buy it? Then, if I decide they would, can I teach it? Will my students understand the concept? Will my students physically be able to make it? That's been a big problem lately. Beading is easy. Learn this all encompassing technique and you can do anything, the only question is what goes where. With this, there are a hundred variables.

So anyway, I made these fabric earrings (the picture at the top of the page) and taught my class in Xela how to make them. I'm kind of upset with myself. How many times has Susan Iverson told me to never use glue on fabric? Sorry Susan. It's necessary. I'm securing the edges of the fabric with glue, then gluing the fabric to a piece of leather, then embroidering around the edges so that the glue is covered up as well as the fabric has an extra thing to secure it. It's a lot of glue. So I taught that, and it's really important that the glue only gets where it's supposed to go, and then it's very important for the embroidery to be perfectly even all the way around. Mistakes are so obvious, and who wants earrings that obviously look like they've been glued together?? Gross, not me. Then the shapes have to be perfectly formed, no lopsided circles, please. And one earring has to match the other, obviously. Then the problems with making them, like the time it takes for the glue to dry, so irritating. The girls ended up taking their earrings home with embroidery floss to work in front of the t.v. I'm anxious to see how they turn out. Lourdes made big friggin heart earrings. I guess there are a lot of people in the world that buy shit with hearts on it. So she can go with it if she wants. Another thing my other professor, Susie Ganch told me: No hearts, stars, or unicorns. Oh well. Fashion is clearly different from art. I'm wrestling with it. One good thing is that they seemed to have fun with it. It's a little more freedom, they can choose their fabric, embroidery colors, shapes, although I think some of that's about to change. If this works, I need to make templates for cutting. There were a lot of lopsided teardrops coming out of that room.

More later. I'm going to yoga!

No comments: