Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Yo Tengo Una Maestra Nueva

It's been a sad few days for me.

The way our Spanish school works is that every two weeks the teachers change. I guess this is so we get more experience with other perspectives, accents, styles etc. So I've lost my good friend Carlos, and he has been replaced with Rosario.

Rosario is something like 4'10", 45 or so years old, and her favorite word is "Linda! Muy muy liiiiiiiiindaa!" which is "Pretty! so so cuuuuuute!" She only wants to talk about pretty things. and sometimes food. and not much else. She doesn't know english, and I've forgotten my dictionary the last two days. So when she gives me a word I don't know, she just kind of stares at me blankly. Not good with examples, apparently. With Carlos, I left every day with pages full of drawings, and sometimes, he'd bounce down the hallway to give me the word for "jump." Usually, though, if she gives me a word she thinks is obvious, or something she mentioned the day before that I don't remember, she'll laugh at me. Chuckle and kind of shrug her shoulders and make me feel stupid or hopeless. At one point she actually asked me "why aren't you laughing?" I told her because I was tired, but I really should have said because it's not funny. I've struggled through the last three days. 5 hours of talking to this lady about how pretty the color of her blouse is is getting to be too much. I tell her I'm quiet because i'm tired, but really I'm just kind of depressed. I miss Carlos. I haven't learned anything in 3 days. I read a lot of stupid stories out of a spanish practice book, and answer some obvious questions: "and then what did she say?" and usually she doesn't even have enough for me to do to make it till the end of the day. I drink like 4 cups of coffee just to have the energy to respond to her. Yesterday I repaired a pair of earrings for her. today she brought a necklace for me to fix. I know the word for fake silver and her favorite shell for necklaces. Why? Augh. It's so sad.

Otherwise, my jewelry classes are going really really excitingly well. Mis estudiantes are really starting to develop a memory with their hands. My Xela class is totally ready for silver. If only I had it. I will write about all my classes in another post. Yanessi wants the internet I think.

No comments: